Wednesday 4 July 2007

Last-minute Secret Women's Biz

I know what you're thinking - this chick is obsessed with Mick Molloy and The Nation. Right? Well I guess I am extremely interested in the fortunes of this show. I just can't leave it alone. If you're reading this then you're probably border-line obsessed too, the show is five weeks old.


But I'm guessing you're feeling disappointed like I am. You remember the D-Generation on radio, The Late Show on the ABC, Mick Molloy in a white helmet being squashed into a cannon by Rob Sitch, Mick Molloy and Tony Martin dressing up as a donkey (?) and sneaking into the Job Warehouse in Melbourne. You think of those times and remember how much you admired that team, you wanted to see what they would do next, you looked forward to watching television and maybe you haven't had that same passion for a show since?


And that's what's missing. Where's all the fun gone? Where's all the passion? It's obviously still with certain members. Tony Martin could never be accused of being unenthusiastic in his research and preparation for his hilarious two hour daily radio program. The Working Dog team have brought us The Panel and Thank God You're Here, they're creating new shows. Shows that they would like to watch themselves if they were sitting around at home instead of chatting at a desk or judging improv from the audience.


The Panel didn't start out as a perfect show. The numbers changed, the cast changed, the format got tweaked but eventually they found their happy place and sat there very comfortably. It wasn't always exciting, it wasn't controversial, it wasn't ground-breaking but it was interesting, live and usually very good viewing. Thank God You're Here is a solid performing show. It rates well. The guests change weekly so that you are bound to have at least one very good performance at least. (I have issue with their one woman per show policy - but I'm hoping that will be rectified this season.) It's real family viewing with a broad appeal that isn't done much these days. Both these shows have something going for them that The Nation lacks - the creators, guests and cast look like they are enjoying themselves. They look like they care. It appears that some thought has gone into each episode and it also seems that they know their audience.


So what is Mick Molloy thinking? In the first five weeks of The Nation we have had:



  • One musical act closing the show

  • One fake vox pop segment

  • Three episodes of a mock soap "Guantanamo Bay"

  • Five stupid entertainment reports from Jackie O

  • One political guest Peter Garrett

  • One sporting guest Andrew Bogut

  • Akmal at the desk each week

  • One special guest appearing in sketches, Stephen Curry

  • Some mock-imitations from Gary Eck (I think two)

  • The addition of Pete Smith as on-camera voice overs

  • Gratuitous perving (see sport report last week)

  • Mock sponsors that included a designer surgical gown and designer colostomy bag (neither were funny)

  • The Chaser boys as guests (complete with a very funny sketch imagining their show on Nine)

  • Nikki Osborne doing pretty much sweet FA

  • And now the Molloy Boys have decided to add a bit of female content at the last minute by inviting Amanda Keller and Fiona O'Loughlin on to chat about "Secret Women's Business".

It was obviously a last-minute addition to the show. Keller had worked up a bit of material on an advertisement about post-baby breast surgery. Keller can do this stuff standing on her head. O'Loughlin is really one of our best comedians and extremely likable but it didn't seem like she had been given much time to prepare for what was obviously a cobbled-together idea.


Part of me is pleased that Molloy is trying something different, trying to appeal to a broader audience and not catering to the blokey market but then again the whole thing is quite insulting. What took him so long and why didn't he think about this more in the first place? This show is being created on the run, that's just lazy tv. Who did he think was going to watch this show? His fans from the D-Gen and Late Show days would be in their thirties/forties by now, there are no fans from his previous solo effort on telly and let's face it - he's no Hamish or Andy or Rove.


He's a forty year-old bloke, unmarried, no kids and with a fairly large chunk of disposable income. Young chicks aren't tuning in to catch the hot spunks. High-brows aren't tuning in for the cutting-edge satire. Women tuned out in the first week because of the cast list of male comedians and girly dolly-birds and the Ralph TV ads. Old faithfuls have tuned out because he's a disappointment and not offering what they thought he would and a new audience can't find anything to grip onto. Are there going to be vox pops, comedians, sketches, live music, secret women's business or something altogether different next week?


Don't get me wrong, there is room for show of this kind on television. But unfortunately Mick and his brothers aren't making it happen. Molloy said it best when he closed the show last night: "A week is a long time in television."



6 comments:

gigglewick said...

I didn't stay with The Panel for long, but I was a devoted fan of D-Generation in both its early (Magda) days and the later incarnation.

I also quite liked the Molloy/Butler/Brough radio show when I caught it occasionally while home with Grizzlewick after he was born.

But I can't get excited about The Nation. It's not particularly funny, I can't stand Jackie O, and I'm trying to minimise my exposure to programming where cheap laughs at the expense of women are considered a nifty fall-back position.

You might then, wonder what is left on television for me to watch.....

Leilani said...

Gigglewick I'm content now that Doctor Who has returned and am also watching Life on Mars. If it wasn't for the Brits I don't know what I'd do.

gigglewick said...

For me the current must-watches are 'Big Love' and 'Gray's Anatomy'.

I like 'Life on Mars', but missed too much to do it justice. I guess I'll wait for the DVD....

Leilani said...

I just watched the first ep of 'Big Love' today - I've got the first 6 eps on dvd and I'm trying to decide if I will continue with it or not. I like the evil prophet idea but the three wives is something I'm having trouble dealing with...

gigglewick said...

yes, I'm not entirely sure how I got sucked into Gray's Anatomy, but there you go. Probably has something ever so slightly to do with Patrick Dempsey.

I agree - there's something about Big Love which is weird in terms of gender politics, but it is quite fascinating nonetheless.

Leilani said...

OK gw, I'll watch the next few eps of Big Love and see if I get hooked. In the meantime I'll make do with David Tennant...swoon