Friday 15 June 2007

The Nation - Episode 2

After what I have already had to say here and here and here and here I thought you would be sick of reading my thoughts on Mick Molloy's intriguing mish-mash The Nation. But judging from the stats - I was clearly wrong.

So you want to know what I thought of episode 2?


I thought it was a slight improvement but still has a long way to go. Perhaps this is best said in pictures.













Welll do you girls?













If the dismal ratings and varied reactions are anything to go by then some changes need to be made. Otherwise it's off to the crap heap with Libbi Gore and her plastically enhanced mates from The Catch-Up.





So what would I do differently?





  • Never sign on all the talent at the start. Remember when The Panel started? They had a six-seater desk and a set panel. It didn't take long for them to realise that five was better than six and that a revolving panel worked better. Then they could keep the same formula but freshen it up each week with some changing faces. Obviously you have a regular crew but you share it around - like they do with Thank God You're Here. So instead of having Akmal sitting at the desk each week - have someone different. There are absolutely heaps of amazing, talented, local comedians out there - bring them on. People who don't like Akmal are already tuning out but if next week Greg Fleet or Denise Scott or Cal Wilson is going to be doing the desk chat and the punter likes him/her - they're back.


  • If you're going to do vox pops do them well - not some pathetic poor imitation of something The Chaser boys might have done.


  • Don't disrespect your female audience. Please. Hire some more writers. Hire some female ones. Lose the Ralph TV ads. Don't have hot young ladies fluffing about and average-looking forty-something blokes providing the funny. It doesn't wash. I mean this with no disrespect at all to Nikki Osborne, Tiffany Cherry and Jackie O. They are three fine looking ladies who all have some talent. But what are they required to do? Honestly, Osborne has brought absolutely nothing to this show - maybe she's tried but the Molloy Boys can't see her doing anything other than copping a feel from Calleja in an ordinary sketch?


  • Lose the sport and entertainment bits. If people really want to know about this they don't want to see it here. The entertainment segment is nothing more than an opportunity to talk about Hollywood startlet trainwrecks and if we want to know about this sort of stuff we'll just log onto one of the many, many websites covering it.


  • How about using some more local talent with a vox pop/video segment? Did you see Lawrence Leung's show at the Melbourne International Comedy Festival? You should have. He has a couple of hilarious short video segments that include him trying some awkward pick-up techniques on the ladies and also doing some excellent breakdancing in a local competition. Use him. Get some other local talent to try their hand at it too.


  • Mick Molloy - make a show you want to watch. I don't think you are. You are making a show you think people want to watch. But they don't. Trust your gut mate. It's big enough.




Finally I would like to leave you with this thought. A certain broadcaster thinks Mick Molloy would be more comfortable dressed as a dog. What do you think?












6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Leilani

Am loving your blog.

What do you think of the catch up being axed.

Anonymous said...

Well, well, well - I have a good mind to cock my leg at you young lady.

Leilani said...

Hi Gennix, I think it's a shame actually but at the same time I don't think they got the mix right in the first place. You know I had no intentions of blogging about telly - but stuff it, I'll write about the Catch-Up later this week if you want!


And hold your horses...MICK MOLLOY

I can only assume this is someone having a larf but if not my reply is:

Please don't cock your leg at me, you'll only stain your trousers.

Anonymous said...

You are so excellent. I love your bloggings! You should write in The Age Much better than that Catherine Deveney woman. She needs a good something.

Anonymous said...

Mick Molloy. You shouldn't cock your leg at her, you should offer her a job.

Leilani said...

Anon 16.26 & 16.28 - you are so close you could almost be the same person! I think that Catherine Deveny needs a raise don't you? She is by far my favourite columnist so please never say a bad word about her in my presence again.

Alas MM can never give me a job as I failed the swimsuit section of the audition. Bummer.